1. Press ALT-F1 to access the main console.
2. Type the word: unsupported.
You will get the nice message:
You have activated Tech Support Mode.
The time and date of this activation have been sent to the system logs.
Tech Support Mode is not supported unless used in consultation with VMware Tech Support.
VMware offers supported, powerful system administration tools. Please see www.vmware.com/go/sysadmintools for details.
Tech Support Mode may be disabled by an administrative user. Disabling requires a reboot of the system. Please consult the ESXi Configuration Guide for additional important information.
3. Enter the root password when prompted
4. Then type: vi /etc/inetd.conf
5. Scroll down the list until you find the line that begins with #SSH (for IPv4 not IPv6)
6. Delete the # sign directly proceeding SSH
7. Press ESC
8. Type: :wq! to save and exit.
9. Reboot the server.
10. SSH Root should be enabled now.