Well guys it took me a lot of time (and google sessions) to solve this issue.
Having installed the Windows 7 OS and installed the complete office surrounding including additional software. After all this work started windows update so the machine is updated to the latest versions. So far so good. mmmmm now the trouble started. Starting the sysprep “Windows could not finish configuring the system error after sysprep /generalize“. Used some workarounds found on the “net” but no one gives a permanent working solution.
So we have to investigate this to get it working:
First of all I started to disable a nasty windows service (you can always enable it after deploying) The service is called (Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service) and cause sysprep to fail.
I started over again, now it seems to be running. The system is shutting down. After powering on again to see it working I received
“Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration restart computer”
Ye restart and restart and restart it will never finish.
So I have to rollback my image again, and start digging again. After reading some google results I came on Dave Stork’s article. That saved me a lot of time.
So the final way to go:
- Use a third party tool to format your disk.
- Install Windows 7 do NOT create the additional partion from 100 Mb.
- Install all your software, and Installed al the updates.
- Disable the windows service called Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service.
- Reboot your system.
- Open a elevated Dos Prompt and run slmgr -rearm.
- Reboot again.
- Open a elevated Dos Prompt and run sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown.
Now your ready to capture your image! Good luck